Vintage French and Equestrian Style

If you are a fan of vintage French and equestrian style,
you have found a home at A Touch of Mink.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Ode to Dorothy Draper-The Greenbrier Was A Dream Come True







I'm hyperventilating even as I write this remembering what an amazing time my husband and I had at The Greenbrier in White Sulphur Springs in WV back in April.



I've avoided blogging about our stay because I took so many pictures and learned so much about the brilliant Dorothy Draper that I haven't known where to begin. The only way I can even attempt to start this is if I bite off little chunks and comment on a few pictures at a time. So here goes...the black and white floor picture is one of many corridors and hallways of The Greenbrier. The trademark Dorothy Draper floors were brilliantly shiny and never failed for a moment to make a statement.
The picture of the pink ceiling with all the plaster relief was the ceiling of the Cameo Ballroom. The picture can't even begin to do the room justice. It was, I think, my favorite room in the hotel. The hardwood floors are original from the 1700's and I can imagine the many sequined and bejeweled feet who have graced it. Every room was different and unique yet somehow it all flowed seamlessly into one giant tribute of American grace and elegance. Never have I been in a room where the designer combined bright jungle greens with fuschias, robin's egg blue, deep claret red, pink, trellis patterns, azalea prints, gold, yellow, bright cobalt blue and painted Chippendale chairs and have it be restful! Yes restful! I don't know how she did it, but she did. Never did all the play on color and pattern for a minute make me feel like getting up and leaving my comfortably upholstered button tufted chair. On the contrary. I wanted to stay and stay and sit and sit and soak it all in. And I did.














No comments:

Post a Comment