Vintage French and Equestrian Style

If you are a fan of vintage French and equestrian style,
you have found a home at A Touch of Mink.

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Before & After on my "RH" Coffee Table, Broken Columns and French Sofas






















Since I'm pretty much wiped out of inventory from my sale I thought I'd blog about some projects I've been doing around the house. Remember my "rant" on the outrageous prices of Restoration Hardware and the super cool coffee table I found for $15? This is how it is coming along. First I made plywood panels to fit where the broken glass was (well my husband made them really). Then I sanded off the dirt and moss and put on a thin coat of deep gray paint. Sanded again. Then I put on a light coat of French gray paint. Sanded again. Then I put a little bit of gold leaf paint. Sanded again. Here is the finished product. I've had this broken column sitting around the shop for months. I thought for sure someone would snatch it up and come up with something creative for it. No one did. So I decided to take it home and broke it some more! Then I put some moss and a nest in it and some curly willow and now I have a nice focal point for my "new" table. Lastly, I'll share with you my vintage French sofa find (ignore the dots-it's just my silly camera) I found this extra long, button tufted, pale mauvy grape colored sofa at a thrift store and picked it up for $40. I am half way through the paint job. I'm painting it to match the coffee table. I am thinking of trying out some upholstery spray on it. I think it would look dynamite in gray. But for $40 I can live with the color as is too. It's growing on me. I bought some Simply Spray and I've tried it out on a scrap piece of fabric. It seems to cover well and does not dry crunchy. I'll let you know if I decide to paint the sofa and I'll post pics if it turns out well-or even if it doesnt!


Thanks for stopping by! Happy hunting!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE your sofa! I die for tufted furniture!! Let me know about spraying the fabric. I have a tufted wingback that I'd love to be grey rather than blue.

    ReplyDelete