Vintage French and Equestrian Style

If you are a fan of vintage French and equestrian style,
you have found a home at A Touch of Mink.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

More Pics of the Desk Hutch Transformation





























I've had so much lovely feedback from friends admiring my little hutch transformation I've decided to post some more pics of it and a little "how to" blog on it. This area started off with one of those laminate top desk thingy mabobber areas in my kitchen that was going to waste. I never used it as a desk. So I started by finding some cute hardware for the drawers. I painted the drawers a nice soft white distressed with a burnt umber glaze. Then I tacked down some burlap over the laminate then put a piece of glass over that. Voila! A new counter top. Then my rock star husband built me the hutch I blogged about the other day. I've filled it with my budding collection of brown and cream transferware. I mixed in some natural curly willow with a little white painted curly willow and twigs of real cotton bolls. The little chair is a set of 5 I bought on CraigsList. These are 100 year old true French chairs and they are so cool. I paid $40 for all 5, can you stand it?! The leather seats were disintegrated but the awesome nailhead trim around the seat was still intact and I didn't want to disturb the tacks by taking off the leather and reupholstering them. So I just made plywood seats, covered them in burlap then made a little pillow cushion to put on top of it. Lastly, I made the little curtain out of muslin and painted the image right on to it. Behind the curtain is a butler's trolley with baskets in it filled with linens and such. There you have it. One useless kitchen desk facing a wall transformed into a lovely focal point in my kitchen!

1 comment:

  1. I love, love this room! I want to shop at your hutch. You have the cutest, elegant decor... the white bird, the chandy, the burlaps. How you combine elegant with inviting is unspeakable! I am utterly envious of the antique chairs, that's $8 apiece! How you find those deals is beyond me, I wish had those skills, please hit me with your bargain stick and rub off. How do I get deals like that?!

    ReplyDelete